From: jlarmour@cambridge.redhat.com
[mailto:jlarmour@cambridge.redhat.com] On Behalf Of Jonathan Larmour
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2001 9:47 AM
To: Mathieu Routhier
Cc: ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: [ECOS] eCos threads debugging using gdb with Jeeni

Mathieu Routhier wrote:

> >Yes, it won't work. It's possible to do clever things using a
> go-between >server that talks to GDB on one side and the target on the
> other (like the >infamous multi-ice-gdb-server). We've done it before,
> but the fun is in the >intelligence in the go-between program.
> >
> >It's something we'd like to do, but no customer has approached us
> asking >for it yet.
>
> Customer == user == me?

Customer == user with money to give us :-).

> If the above is true, then consider that I am asking for it :)  Is it
> too simple or would you like help?  I'm very interested in seeing this
> happen.  It could be my contribution to eCos.

Well that's certainly the right attitude :).

> Can you give me pointers to know where to begin?

Tricky. What you probably need is something like gdbserver that listens
on
a socket on one side and uses the GDB remote protocol to talk to GDB
through it. And then on the other side talks RDI to Jeeni. Once you do
that
first stage, _then_ we can worry about thread debugging.

But it's several weeks of dedicated work methinks if starting from
scratch.

Red Hat, Rustat House, Clifton Road, Cambridge, UK. Tel: +44 (1223)
271062
Maybe this world is another planet's Hell -Aldous Huxley ||
Opinions==mine