Harddisk file system.

I'm implementing a harddisk based file system on the eCos platform.
I have some questions on the device driver part:

Do I need to mount 2 items in order for the file system to work on eCos?
These would be,
(a) /dev/hda, or something like that for the block device driver of harddisk.
(b) /e2fs	for the exact file system (suppose it would be ext2fs).

Or any other suggestions for the driver part, for portability issue or ease
of implement ?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Felix.