Historical question about eCos

Was eCos designed to be a embedded operating systems since the beginning
of its development or it was initially implemented to execute on PC based
platforms and then after a while adapted to be exeute in any "embedded
platforms" (which requires a bunch of specific characteristics such as
small memory usage, small context switching and inter-task communication
overheads, event-driven capabilities, etc).

I'm asking this cause I've just read "somewhere" that eCos was first
designed towards PC platforms and later on adapted to become an embedded
OS. Could someone give some historic info regarding this.

thanks,
Cristiano.

Cristiano Ligieri Pereira - http://www.ics.uci.edu/~cpereira