Re: Still confused by virtual vectors

Grant Edwards wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 12:04:43AM +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> > Grant Edwards wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm trying to update my HAL to work with the current CVS
> > > snapshot and to use virtual vectors the "right" way.  I've read
> > > and re-read porting/hal-calling-if.html, but I just don't get
> > > it.
> > >
> > > I've looked at a couple different HAL implimentations and they
> > > don't all seem to support virtual vectors (or lack thereof) can
> > > somebody point me to a good HAL example?
> >
> > Most do though. Since you're on ARM, choosing another ARM target is good.
> > How about the ebsa285 since it's well established. Look at hal_diag.c but
> > ignore the "compatibility with older stubs" bits. And then hal_diag.h and
> > plf_stub.h. edb7xxx is another option.
>
> I've looked at those and configured my HAL to work with and
> without virtual vector support.
>
> But, I still can't figure out how to control that -- trying to
> change CYG{INT|SEM}_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_SUPPORT in ecos.ecc
> generates errors.  When you've got a HAL that works either way,
> how do you configure which way you want it to work?

Most HALs use VV support even if the ROM monitor they're using it with
doesn't support VVs. If you explicitly wanted to avoid that (I presume you
have your reasons) you would have an option controlling VV support in your
platform HAL that would implement CYGINT_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_SUPPORT if that
option is enabled.

But perhaps you are only interested in disabling VV diag, in which case
CYGSEM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_DIAG is the option you're interested in. It
depends on what you are trying to achieve when you say you want it to work
"without virtual vector support".