question about REDBOOT operation ( connecting with GDB )

Hi.
I wonder that how REDBOOT communicate with GDB.
When I made Redboot , I did not include
CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_INCLUDE_STUBS option in debugging.cdl.
Default option CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_CTRLC_SUPPORT was included.
So I thought Redboot had no way to communictate with GDB in this case.
But It seems that RedBoot communicates well with GDB.

So is there another way to make Redboot communicate GDB without
including GDB_stubs?

and What's difference between ROM_MONITOR and GDB_STUBS?
and What's for CygMon?
I'm very conused about these.

thanks in advance.

Tony.