RE: Port to XScale board

On 18-Aug-2001 Cristiano Ligieri Pereira wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Right now I have Redboot running on the RAM memory of my XScale board. I'm
> trying to make the '$' command to work. In other words, I'm trying to
> download some application into the RAM memory using Redboot (instead of
> Cygmon), but something wrong is happenig and I'm getting the following
> message from the gdb console:
>
> "Ignoring packet error, continuing...
>  Ignoring packet error, continuing...
>  Ignoring packet error, continuing...
>  Couldn't establish connection to remote target
>  Malformed response to offset query, timeout
>  gdb_config:3: Error in sourced command file:
>  You can't do that when your target is `exec'"
>
> Looking at the Redboot source I've noticed that the function breakpoint(),
> which is called after issuing the command '$', is the last one called,
> which in turn calls HAL_BREAKPOINT(_breakinst). From the comments I've
> also noticed that this generates a breakpoint exception. From this point
> on what should happen? Why I'm not able to communicate with RedBoot via
> GDB? The serial communication Redboot/host is working fine since I'm
> seeing the prompt and issuing commands...

First of all, you can load programs using RedBoot's "load" command as
well.

Try turning on GDB's remote debug facility which will display something
about what's going on on the communications line.  Note: it will be running
at the same speed that RedBoot was using, most likely 38400 unless you've
set it up to run otherwise.