Redboot and printf

Hello,
One thing I noticed for the PID platform, is that when
I build Redboot, it links two copies of printf -- one
in  the libc package (printf.cxx) and one in the
redboot package (printf.c).  I didn't realize this,
but it seems that ld will pick the first symbol it
finds instead of reporting an error.  In my case, it
is picking the libc implementation.  It seems that it
should be picking the reboot implementation.  If it
should, perhaps there is a configuration problem on my
end?  I'm wondering because I'm trying to port Redboot
to another ARM7 platform and it is unclear which is
correct.

thanks,
--bill