Re: ecos atmel eb40 demo board

Richard Slaughter wrote:

> Jonathan,
> Yes, I'm following the instructions.
> I have been able to install redboot_rom.elf on the eb40 board.
> The file redboot_ramrom.srec per the instructions does not exist.
> I assumed it was redboot_romram.srec.  I could not get this file to
> download but redboot_rom.srec, transfered to flash and will run.

RAMROM is a typo - it should have been ROMRAM.

So the RedBoot ROM works absolutely fine, but RedBoot ROMRAM can't even
load.

> If I try to replace it I have this problem with the board resetting
> and displaying the Angel logon before finishing the download.

If you are _already_ running the RedBoot ROM image, you should first load
the redboot RAM image into it and run that before downloading the ROMRAM
image. This is because RedBoot executes in place, which means that when you
write a new version in flash, it overwrites the currently executing
program. I wouldn't be at all surprised if weird stuff happens then.

> It almost acts like a  watch dog timer is running and restting the board.
> I'm using the snapshot insight+dejagnu-20010419 version of gdb and I'm
> just using binary images posted to redhat for the eb40.
> what are the distictions between:
> redboot_ram.elf

Loads into and runs from RAM.

> redboot_romram.elf

Loads into ROM, relocates itself to RAM when it starts, and runs from RAM.

> redboot rom.elf

Loads and runs from ROM.