Re: ecos and ks32c50100

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 12:47:14PM +0200, Christoph Obermair wrote:

> i am working with a ks32c50100-custom-board at the moment. my aim is to
> run a tcp/ip-stack and one or two other small applications on it. the
> board has 128k ram and 512k flash-rom.
>
> i think ecos could be a good solution for my little project.
>
> so, i've already read some mails in the archive of this list concerning
> ecos on a ks32c50100-board, but none of them was really helpful. is there
> already an existing port?

I'll package up the Ethernet driver and the HAL and put them on
my ftp site today.  I'll send a URL to the list once it's there.

> i read something about a port for the snds100. if this port exists, can i
> use it for my custom-board without any further changes?

You might have to change the routines that deal with the PHY.

The HAL should work as is.  Except: my HAL package only
impliments the RAM-startup model (code is in RAM) and it
assumes that memory has already been configured with RAM
starting at 0.  If you want to run with ROM at 0, it will need
some changes.  At one point I had hacked up the ARM platform
support routines to support that, but I gave up on it for two
reasons:

 1) Running with ROM at 0 prevented me from being able to burn
    flash in my app.

 2) Maintaining a set of parallel, non-standard ARM startup
    code was a pain.

> i saw that there are two tcp/ip-implementaions: the one from
> ecos and another one from tristan gingold. why are there two
> different stacks?

IIRC, Tristan Gingold's stack came out before the "official"
eCos stack.

> besides, do i have enough memory at all to run a tcp/ip-stack
> an my board???

128K of RAM is going to be pretty tight if you want to do
TCP/IP and you're executing out of RAM.  If you're executing
out of ROM, then you should be able to squeek by OK, but the
HAL will need to be modified for that.

Enabling the 8K cache will alleviate most of the slowdown you
would otherwise see running with text in ROM.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com