RE: i386 TARGET network programming

  > "Trenton D. Adams" wrote:
  > >
  > > I already sent a message like this to the list from my other email
  > > address.  However, since I sent it on Saturday, and I haven't
received
  > > it back from the list yet, I assume it didn't get through.
  > >
  > > I'm wondering if the only network adapter I can use for network
  > > programming is that Intel Etherexpress Pro or whatever it is?  If
so,
  > > what is the i386 target for?  If I don't have networking
capability it
  > > seems that it would be a waste of time for anything else.  I can't
  > think
  > > of anything else that someone might use it for.
  >
  > There's plenty of PC compatible motherboards that people use for
  > embedded
  > applications. Not every embedded application requires networking
  > abilities,
  > and not everyone specifically needs to use a specific card, so an
Intel
  > Etherexpress compatible card is adequate. Although, if you like,
just
  > earlier Rosimildo da Silva just made available a 3Com 3c5x9 NIC
driver.

Unfortunately, I don't own either one of the cards.

Are there any cards out there that would use the same driver as the
Intel Etherexpress?  I need a 10/100 card for my other machine anyhow so
I could just buy one of those.  I don't want to pay out the $70+ for a
3COM or $120+ for the Intel card.