Re: i386 TARGET network programming

"Trenton D. Adams" wrote:

> I already sent a message like this to the list from my other email
> address.  However, since I sent it on Saturday, and I haven't received
> it back from the list yet, I assume it didn't get through.
>
> I'm wondering if the only network adapter I can use for network
> programming is that Intel Etherexpress Pro or whatever it is?  If so,
> what is the i386 target for?  If I don't have networking capability it
> seems that it would be a waste of time for anything else.  I can't think
> of anything else that someone might use it for.

There's plenty of PC compatible motherboards that people use for embedded
applications. Not every embedded application requires networking abilities,
and not everyone specifically needs to use a specific card, so an Intel
Etherexpress compatible card is adequate. Although, if you like, just
earlier Rosimildo da Silva just made available a 3Com 3c5x9 NIC driver.