Re: Driver for the SMC 91c96 eth chip in RedBoot?

Stefan Eletzhofer escribió:

> Hello,
> I'm using a Assabet/Neponset SA1110/SA1111 Dev board and use RedBoot to boot
> Linux. Currently i use the CF ne2000 compatible Ethernet card, but i need to
> use the SMC Ethernet chip on the Neponset expansion board.
>
> 1) ist there such a driver? How do i enable it?

Yes, the generic SMC9196 driver is available but it can't be used
in Assabet/Neponset. In this board, the chip is configured/wired
in 8-bit mode but the driver in ECOS assumes the chip is in 16-bit
mode. Of course, the chip can be programmed to 8-bit mode using
its registers, but then all the I/O accesses must take this into
account and be keep compatibility with the original 16-bit accesses.

In the Neponset, the chip is also configured in PCMCIA mode but
I already added support for this mode in the driver. Registers
are also double-word aligned (SMC's pin A0 wired to SA-1100's A2),
but this is configurable in the driver.

> 2) if not, is it possible to port the driver from Linux?

Much better try to add support for 8-bit mode in the
current ECOS driver, IMHO.

Jordi Colomer