RE: ADC

Whilst a defined API would be nice don't forget that the physical device
will need a driver, this would be component and platform specific.  However
if the format of the API can be agreed there is nothing stopping you from
writing your device drivers to use this convention (or Paying Red Hat to do
the work on your behalf cue Jonathan :-) )

Andy