Problems with RedBoot on x86 generic pc...

BTW, I didn't thank some of you for responding to my previous problem
with building for a pc target. With Jifl's CVS update, it now builds.

Anyway, my current problem is with RedBoot. I built the x86 version and
booted with the diskette. It seems to come up, and I see a RedBoot
prompt on my screen. I'm assuming that even though I can see it on the
local console, the local console isn't active, right? So, I have to use
a serial port or network, right?

It's not working with my particular ethernet card, so I'm trying with
the serial port. I've tested my cable with my host machine and another
Linux machine, and they talk successfully with minicom. But, when I
connect the same cable between my host and my target, and boot the
diskette on the target, and attempt to connect with gdb, I can't get a
connection. I'm assuming I'd get the RedBoot prompt, right?

So, I'm stuck at the moment. I'm using the June 8, 2001 build of
RedBoot.

Any suggestions?

- matt