Re: odd serial input bug in redboot 095308 20010607 on iP

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 09:23:48AM -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:

> Have you changed the baud rate, or is it still at the default of 38400?

Still at 38400.  Haven't tried anything else.  I've reset the baudrate via
fconfig several times, but always to 38.4.

> Do you see any of the boot-up messages on the serial port when it freezes?  These
> should be displayed, no matter what, up to the first prompt.

I see up through the first RedBoot> prompt, as pasted in the original mail,
and nothing beyond.

> I do have a unit here where the serial is pretty squirrely, although not the
> same as yours.  I've found that if I simply unplug/plug the serial (take it out
> of the cradle, whatever), that it comes back fine.  Can you try this?

One of the first things I've tried.  No help.

> Do you have a network connection?  If so, you could try accessing the unit that
> way when it is in this state and maybe get a glimpse into what it is doig.

Not yet.  I hope to next week, depending on when my PCMCIA sleeve arrives...

> What is the vintage of this unit?

Brand new.  S/N 4g15dw312091, on the off chance that means anything to you. :)
Purchasing happened through another department, but I believe it was ordered
directly from Compaq.

Interestingly, even when serial is working, I can't make it accept any
files via xmodem.  Gives 3 retries and then aborts back to the prompt
(at least, it's sitting at the prompt, very confused, when I abort the
upload on the PC).

david