RE: Inherit RedBoot Console

On 14-May-2001 Victor Tarasov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can you expalin me, please, why I cannot use inherit RedBoot console in
> my iPAQ application?
> (It's default eCos configuration for iPAQ.)
>
> As far as I see
> RedBoot eCos configuration defines CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_BREAK_SUPPORT;
>
> mangler 'putc' comm entry  (hal_if.c) use frame
> CYG_HAL_GDB_ENTER_CRITICAL_IO_REGION -
> CYG_HAL_GDB_LEAVE_CRITICAL_IO_REGION
> (CYG_HAL_STARTUP_ROM is not defined for RedBoot. Is it correct?)
>
> Does it means that 'cyg_hal_gdb_place_break' function  (hal_stub.c)
> tries to insert break point into
> the flash memory? At this point the application halts.
>
> Application goes well if it does not inherit RedBoot console, or if the
> RedBoot mangler 'putc' entry
> use the frame HAL_DISABLE_INTERRUPTS - HAL_RESTORE_INTERRUPTS.

I'm confused.  Are you trying to build an application using the 'redboot'
configuration [template]?  If so, don't.

To build applications for the iPAQ:
  % ecosconfig new ipaq
  % ecosconfig tree
  % make

This is sufficient for simple applications.  You might also want to include
more packages as standard:
  % ecosconfig new ipaq all

In both of these configurations, the 'inherit console' stuff works perfectly,
without any special considerations.