Development board advice please

I hope that this isn't too general a query for the list. I haven't had any
luck finding this information in the archive.

We're just about to start development work for a prototype. We need to pick
a development board to use in our prototype, so I'd like to ask for some
advice based on your experience.

We must have 2 PCI slots and 2 serial ports (gdb + serial console). We don't
need much processing power (a few tens of MIPS would be ample), or memory
and no networking is required. The board will be doing a lot of I/O via two
PCI digital I/O cards. The priorities are then (starting with the most
important):

1. Time to get a running system i.e. quick to obtain (UK), set-up and run
with as few potential problems as possible.
2. Size. Smaller would be better, but anything from ATX down is possible.
3. Price. We'll be needing 8+ eventually and want to spend as little as
possible as we may change processor before production. This is the least
important consideration though.

Is eCos stable enough to meet 1? On which boards that meet our requirements
is eCos the most stable? Are there any to avoid?!

Please feel free to reply off-list if you think that this won't interest
everyone.

Any advice you can offer will be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger

Roger Nixon, Software Team Leader,
quantumBeam, Abbey Barns, Duxford Road,