Re: Separate console and debug ports?

Grant Edwards wrote:

> In order to avoid loosing input characters I got rid of the
> timeouts in RedBoot's gets(), so now if there's no input on a
> UART, it doesn't delay. It checks the next UART (or the
> network) immediately.  I don't understand the purpose of the
> delay after checking a UART -- my configuration works a lot
> better without them.
>
> Since nobody is calling the 1ms delay routine that updates the
> system time, I did have to add to the main loop a call to a new
> routine in ticks.c to advance the system by about 80us
> everytime through the loop.  The unfortunate thing about that
> setup is that you have to tune the "system time adjust" value
> by hand to get a reasonably accurate system time.
>
> But, ping resonse time is 1-2 ms and I never loose console
> characters at 57.6K baud.  :)

I may well be talking out my *rse, but what about trying to make the timer
interrupt driven rather than polled, and then delay_us just reads a global
volatile counter? Normally RedBoot is completely polled, but as long as you
mask all your unused interrupt sources I don't know any reason why there'd
be a problem. Admittedly I don't think we would want such a change in the
master sources so this wouldn't solve the problem for everyone.