Re: RedBoot: __eth_install_handler?

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 02:57:41PM -0600, Grant Edwards wrote:

> > > In RedBoot's net.h file, there's a declaration for
> > > __eth_install_handler(), which would seem from the declaration to
> > > do exactly what I want to do: set a call-back to handle packets
> > > with Ethernet protocol type <whatever>.
> > >
> > > That functionality hasn't been implemented, so I'm about to
> > > implement it.

It doesn't look like the packet handler routines verify that
the length of a received Ethernet frame is long enough to
contain the amount of data expected.  For example, the IP
handler doesn't check to make sure that the number of bytes in
the Ethernet frame was was large enough to hold the amount of
data claimed in the IP header.

The only way for that to happen would be for another host to
intentionally send a short Ethernet frame (AFAIK). Even if that
happens it should be caught by the checksum verification,
right?

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com