Re: ARM7 debugging

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 06:16:27PM +0100, Ilko Iliev wrote:

> I try to find the right way to debug eCOS (ATEB01).
> I have JTAG Wiggler from Macraigor and JEENI from EPI.
> I use the gnu suite for Linux (RedHat 7.0) and Windows2000 (cygwin) -
> gcc2.95, Insight 5.0

The gdb and insight mailing lists are probably the best places
to get help on gdb and insight.  Most of the gdb/insight
experts don't read the eCos mailing list.

I've used Insight 5.0 with the Jeeni under Windows and Linux,
I've never tried the Wiggler.

> 2. With JEENI from EPI.
>
>    - when I use no windows interface gdb connected to target: gdb>
>      target rdi e=192.168.1.100 A user program can be downloaded and
>      executed.

You should be able to type the same commands into the gdb
window when using the windowing interface.  Does that work?

>    - when I use windows interface: in File/Target Settings I try
>      each possibility with ethernet interface, but I can't succeed.
>      By the connection settings I have seen port option - no where I
>      can't find description of it.

I have gotten Insight to connect using the menu/dialog-box
method, but I find it far simpler to type "target" and "load"
commands in the gdb window.

If you get that method to work, and you still want to use the
menu entries, let me know, and I'll go back and find my notes.

>      To solve the problem I use gdb.ini file with current settings.
>      The result was the same : "Unable to Read Instructions at
>      0x2018060". When I select manual the debugging file then it can
>      be debugged. In the first cyg_thread_delay() from the
>      twothreads example it hang up - obviously the scheduler didn't
>      work. The same exapmle work fine with JTAG Wiggler. - same as
>      the JTAG Wiggler it can't be halted (with windows interface).
>      The only way to restart the user program is to kill gdb process
>      and start it again.

When you run the no-windowing version, can you stop execution
by typing "ctrl-C" under Linux?  [I don't remember if ctrl-C
works under Cygwin.]

In order to get the "stop" button to work with the Jeeni, you
need to either use a CVS snapshot of gdb/insight or apply the
patches at

  ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/grante/gdb-rdi-patches/5.0

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com