Re: i386 / pc virtual vectors (RedBoot)

Jesper Skov wrote:
> I think I'll try to find some time next week to add virtual vectors to
> the i386/PC target - after that is in place, getting RedBoot up and
> running should be simple.

As Gary has already pointed out, Fabrice has already done it all. And as of
yesterday we are now in a position to legally use his patches (finally!).

> However, since I never played with PCs when assembly was The Thing to
> use, I basically have no clue of how it all fits together.
>
> So I was hoping I might find some help here. For starters just where
> to put the VSR table and virtual vector table, since these need to be
> at an absolutely (and static regardless of startup type) addressed
> location.
>
> I see that the lower 4kB are untouched in the memory map - can the VSR
> table (0x100 bytes) and virtual vector table (0x100) fit in there, or
> is it all used up by magic Intel vector tables and CPU bug fixes? :)

Yes it's the interrupt/exception vector table location.

We should be integrating Fabrice's patches really, and I was intending to
do so soon[1]. If you want to do it instead, feel free, but I believe that
Fabrice's patches may break the linux synthetic target.

Just in general, IMHO we should move the linux synthetic target out of the
i386 HAL. There isn't enough commonality to cause all the fudging and
potential for breaking that there is now. But that's for later...

Jifl

[1] "Free" time permitting, sigh.
Un cheval, pas du glue. Pas du cheval, beaucoup du glue. || Opinions==mine