Re: redboot info threads problem

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 12:32:53PM +0000, Hugo Tyson wrote:
> I'd like to restate this recommendation
> for the list:
>
> Don't put the kernel in RedBoot.

Yes, in an ideal world, i would not even try. Its not been designed
for this so at the moment im just exploring the posibilities.

> OTOH, what functionality is it you want in RedBoot that needs the kernel?

Backward compatibility. I had my own bootloader long before redboot
came along. This used a full eCos ROM app to load the RAM app and
start it. It would be nice if i could use the ethernet debugging from
redboot but remain backward compatible with my old bootloader. The old
code assumes there is a kernel and the rest of eCos. So i have two
options. Rewrite the code so that it only uses the driver API, or try
to get the kernel running on redboot.

Anyway, all the questions i have asked so far have been about plain
redboot. Im just trying to understand how it sets up the machanisms
for calling between the ROM redboot and RAM application.

        Andrew