Re: TCP/IP write() buffering question

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 09:10:29AM -0500, Grant Edwards wrote:

[...]

> In the tcpdump trace The ACKs from the Linux box (traced from
> that same Linux box) show up 10-20ms after each packet from the
> eCos board.  There is generally around 16-17ms between the data
> packet and the ACK.
>
> [Pauses to try IE5 under NT]
>
> NT delays ACKs the way I expect.  This results in about 15
> packets instead of 50, but the load still takes 2 seconds.
> Apparently, the GoAhead JavaScript interpreter is _really_ slow.

[Doh!]

I forgot to enable the i/d cache in the CPU.  With the cache
enabled, load time drops from 2 seconds to about 0.7 seconds.
This is longer than I'd like, but I can probably live with it.
I could also move more of my table generation logic from
JavaScript to C.

I still don't understand why Linux isn't delaying TCP ACKs, but
it doesn't seem to be causing any problems since the load times
are the same under NT (which does have a 200ms ACK delay).

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com