Re: eCos with non-GNU compiler

James Dabbs wrote:

> >But don't bother porting GDB and it's related stubs, MULTI is far,
> >far better as a debugging environment.
>
> So would this require splicing the Green Hills debugger into eCos?

If your uC has a JTAG interface, just use the $100 wiggler JTAG - parallel
port interface and you're done.
For non-JTAG processors, I don't know, but in a sense a RTOS is nothing
more than any other program and could probably be debugged with whatever
mechanism is available with MULTI.

> This is an interesting exercise.  When we add up the royalties for VxWorks,
> or the "Project/CPU/Developer" charges for ThreadX, Nucleus, or smx, we
> really have to ask ourselves if it isn't cheaper to put a guy on getting
> eCos or RTEMS running. Even through neither eCos nor RTEMS supports M-Core
> and neither runs in our development environment, this is not a clear call.

Yes, I don't really know why theses guys like VxWorks charge so much for
a 20-year old technology. Their tools are great, but their licensing scheme is
insane. Long-life to open-source projects in this area...

Cedric