Re: [i386 PC platform] Problem with external GDB interrupt

Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour@redhat.com> writes:

> I'm curious as to whether the the x86 increments the PC after *all*
> exceptions, or just "int 3"s. i.e. should we be checking for the breakpoint
> vector, or should we just correct the PC all the time. Anyone know?

INT #3, is defined to be a "trap" exception, which is reported after
the instruction completes, so the PC has already advanced to the next
instruction. The same is also true of hardware and software generated
interrupts.

--
Nick Garnett, eCos Kernel Architect
Red Hat, Cambridge, UK