Re: cyg_mbox_tryput in DSR?

Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com> writes:
> At 2000-07-10 12:43:28+0000, Gary Thomas writes:
> >
> > On 10-Jul-2000 Nick Barnes wrote:
> > > Can I use cyg_mbox_tryput() in a DSR?
> > >
> > > Keyboard driver for EDB7211.  Using an alarm on the real-time clock to
> > > poll every centi-second (because the keyboard interrupt isn't
> > > generated for all the keys, as previously discussed).  Want to use an
> > > mbox to notify the main code of keys pressed.
> >
> > This function is certainly safe to use in a DSR.
(Yup, sure is)
> > An alternative which I have used for this device is a separate thread
> > which polls the keyboard and then pushes events into a message queue.
> > Have looked at this code?  Does it not suit your purposes?
>
> My current code uses a separate thread.  However, for some reason this
> other thread doesn't get scheduled reliably.  It used to work (before
> I linked with the TCP/IP stack).

Hi Nick: we recently made a change to the TCP/IP stack to greatly reduce
the time it spends with bad stuff locked.  It used to use disable
interrupts - after all, it's a beta - and now it uses a mutex for
splsoftnet() and the scheduler lock for others.

This gives waaaay better realtime behaviour (as tested by the test harness
in the EBSA285 ethernet driver).

Please pick up latest from anoncvs and let us know how you get on?
'Course, if you're already there, send more details to the list anyway...

Ta,
	- Huge