printf debugging using serial

Hi,
	I've a PID board with 2 serial ports, I'm using one for code
download and debugging, and the other for my application, does using
printf affect the use of the second serial port heavily? do interrupts get
turned off when I'm in printf, I've noticed a lot greater byte loss when
using debugging ..

Any suggestions on how to work around apart from binary debugging using
LEDS :-)

Dave.

--
      David Airlie, Software Engineer, Parthus Technologies plc.,
       Mary Rosse Centre, National Tech Park, Limerick, Ireland.