problems running tests under 1.3.1

I've succesfully built the toolchain, eCos 1.3.1, and the related tests.
However, running the tests gives me different behavior depending on whether
I run one from Tools->Run Tests or arm-elf-gdb from Tools->Shell, with or
without the gdb gui.  For example, I ran tm_basic.exe from Tools->Run Tests
and the test ran for quite a while, filling out part of the table listing
the timings before timing out.  When I run it with arm-elf-gdb, I cannot
download it because it says non-existent executable and shows the correct
path to the file.  When I run it arm-elf-gdb -nw, it loads and then gets a
SIGTRAP when I enter 'c'.  It SIGTRAPs at 0xe0001604, which is the address
that appears after I enter 'target remote com1'.  I'm using the Cirrus
edb72111 board.  I built the toolchain per the ARM instructions on
sourceware, the versions are: binutils-000530, gcc-*-2.95.2, insight-5.0.
I'm using the 20000525 cygwin1.dll to fix the textmode issues, but other
than that, latest stable release of the cygwin tools off of the website.

Any assistance in helping me get past this is greatly appreciated,
  Todd Malsbary