Re: size sanity-check

    >> Also, any idea how big the tcpip stack is?

    Grant> In my ARM configuration it's about 120K of text and a bit
    Grant> over 128K of bss. The default is to use a bit over 256K of
    Grant> bss. If you're going to do TCP/IP, I would plan on a
    Grant> minimum of 256K ROM and 256K RAM. That's not leaving a huge
    Grant> amount of memory for application code, so you'll have to
    Grant> adjust upwards for large applications.

I should probably point out that the TCP/IP stack provided by Red Hat
is just a port of the BSD stack, and has not been tuned for embedded
use. We provide it for people who want to evaluate eCos, or who can
afford the memory overheads involved. Third parties can provide
alternative stacks which are more suited for embedded systems, for
example they may require less memory, although of course this may come
at a price such as restricted functionality. Also, such third party
stacks are likely to involve license fees.

eCos has been designed as a component architecture, so people can
select the components appropriate for their application including
various implementations of TCP/IP stacks. This is one of the reasons
why we ship our TCP/IP stack as a separate package, rather than merged
into the core releases.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer