Re: Ethernet and Serial drivers for Linux target?

    Grant> I told management that it should be possible to write
    Grant> serial port and Ethernet device drivers for the Linux eCos
    Grant> target, thus allowing people to do eCos application
    Grant> development on Linux boxes. Of course the performance and
    Grant> timing won't be the same, but for basic application
    Grant> functionality it should be good enough for many things.

    Grant> Has anybody done this? I assume that all you have to do is
    Grant> to map cyg_io_read() and cyg_io_write() into read() and
    Grant> write() calls, and map cyg_io_get_config() and
    Grant> cyg_io_set_config() into appropriate ioctl() calls?

    Grant> The serial driver should be able to use the standard
    Grant> /dev/ttySx devices and the Ethernet driver can use the
    Grant> af_packet module to send and receive Ethernet packets. Is
    Grant> this going to be as straight-forward as I think it is, or
    Grant> have I dug myself into a hole?

In addition to Gary's response, you may want to look at a short thread
on the ecos-discuss mailing list "Serial device driver for linux
synthetic target!" last month,
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/ecos-discuss/1999-10/
This discussed a couple of ways of tackling the problem. So far I have
not received any contributions in this area.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer