Re: [ECOS] Problems with ecosSWtools and thumb-elf

In article <xq3k8s496s9.fsf@hridil.ifi.uio.no> you write:
>jlarmour@cygnus.co.uk (Jonathan Larmour) writes:
>> If you do go down that route, let the list know how you get on, and just
>> ask if you have any problems. I'm sure someone should be able to help.
>
>I did. I picked up binutils-2.9.1 and egcs-1.1.2. I compiled and
>installed binutils first, then egcs. The options to configure were
>--target=thumb-coff --prefix=/local/hacks/arm. For some reason there
>is no elf support for thumb in binutils-2.9.1. Or was it egcs? I
>forget.

Not in egcs-1.1.2, no. That's my fault for not specifying which version.
Sorry :-(. The place to get the latest snapshot is
ftp://egcs.cygnus.com/pub/egcs/snapshots/index.html

When gcc-2.95 comes out, you could use that instead.

I believe binutils-2.9.1 should be adequate though.

>Since I will use this in an embedded system which will not run *nix or
>even have a filesystem or a terminal, I did not have or need the
>standard *.h files (stdio.h and so on). Had to define "inhibit_libc"
>when compiling libgcc2.c so xgcc would not barf on some
>includes. According to the code, that can lead to problems.

If you download newlib from ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/newlib/, and put
symlinks in your egcs tree to the "newlib" and "libgloss" directories
in that distribution, that should work around some of the problems
you had further down. You also won't need to define inhibit_libc I
believe.

>The makefile did not find the assembler by itself, even if I was
>compiling egcs with the same prefix as binutils. I had to have
>thumb-coff-as in my path.

That doesn't surprise me. I think using the PATH is probably the right
thing.

>The tests failed. It said:
[snip] see above

>Seems I have solved my most immediate problem(s), but egcs seems to
>have poorer cross-target support than the ecos tools. Is this correct?

No, not if you have all the parts in place. We should ensure there is
documentation of how to do this for people in future.

Cygnus Solutions, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK.  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
"I used to have an open mind but || Get yer free open source RTOS's here...
 my brains kept falling out."    || http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ecos
Help fight spam! http://spam.abuse.net/  These opinions are all my own fault