Re: [ECOS] Re: CPU Ports for eCos

In article <199904281116.MAA32569@sheesh.cygnus.co.uk> you write:

>    >> Since
>    >> eCos makes use of some compiler facilities that are tied to ELF
>
>    Alex> Was that a good idea ?
>
>In the medium to long term, yes. Technically ELF is superior to older
>object formats such as a.out and COFF, it makes it much easier to
>implement facilities such as constructor priority ordering and
>selective linking.

Just to add my 2p, I believe it would be possible to get things to work
with ECOFF too, but it would require similar modifications to gcc/gld that
were made to the ELF support to support constructor priority ordering. I
believe a.out and vanilla COFF would be as good as impossible to do though.

But as Bart says, since ELF is the way to go in future anyway, there
doesn't seem much point. But if it really was in demand, a volunteer could
implement it.

Cygnus Solutions, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK.  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
"I used to have an open mind but || Want a free open source no-royalty RTOS?
 my brains kept falling out."    || http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ecos
Help fight spam! http://spam.abuse.net/  These opinions are all my own fault