Re: Gnutools: consideration for upgrade to GCC 4.6

On 15/01/12 22:20, Ilija Kocho wrote:
> On 15.01.2012 19:42, Sergei Gavrikov wrote:
[eCos specific toolchains]
> It seems there have been some attempts before as there are some traces
> left in gcc tree:
> gcc/config/arm/ecos-elf.h

That was Nick Clifton trying to be helpful to me years ago when he got the
wrong end of the stick about a conversation we had. It's not and never has
been used. I would ask them to remove it but don't quite feel it's worth
the effort for someone to take the time even to remove.

> I'm not sure about former addition, But IMO that it would be good to add
> t-ecos target description(s). The material is present in eCos patches
> ftp://ecos.sourceware.org/pub/ecos/gnutools/src/ .

IMHO I disagree.

>>> Are the eCos sources going to start requiring use of specific
>>> toolchain binaries?
>> Nope. Anyone can use own binaries if he/she wants.
>
> We must be sure of this. People will need, from various reasons, to use
> different toolchains (commercial or self built).

In which case there's no point putting ecos in the target name.

There may well be a point when there is a real tangible technical benefit
that overrides the drawbacks. But until then we should not artificially
make differences. "Branding" is really not a good reason.

Jifl