Re: Gnutools: consideration for upgrade to GCC 4.6

On 01/17/2012 11:44 AM, Ilija Kocho wrote:
On 17.01.2012 17:09, Stanislav Meduna wrote:
On 17.01.2012 10:36, Tomas Frydrych wrote:

Some of the more recent gccs were not producing usable binaries on some
platforms (including arm) with the -Os option. I do not know if this is
the case with 4.6.2, and I don't think ecos uses -Os by default, but it
is probably worth checking whether this works (and at least documenting
somewhere if it does not).
Do you happen to have more details on this - versions, flags used,
example to reproduce...?

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Optimize-Options.html says

   -Os enables all -O2 optimizations that do not typically increase
   code size. It also performs further optimizations designed
   to reduce code size.

it would be good to know whether the problems come from -O2 (which
would be a major problem) or from these further optimizations.

I am compiling with default eCos options (that include -O2). Haven't noticed a problems so far.

Ilija

It would be pretty cool if we made a script that downloaded and built the eCos GNU tools for the current "official" version. Add the script to the source control. That way we'd all have a good starting point when upgrading personal tool chains. And, while we're at it, update the ancient directions on the web site on how to build a tool chain:
http://ecos.sourceware.org/build-toolchain.html

Frank