Re: Gnutools: consideration for upgrade to GCC 4.6

On 13.01.2012 19:54, Bernard Fouché wrote:

Le 13/01/2012 18:00, Ilija Kocho a écrit :

Our GCC 4.3.2 is ageing and perhaps we should consider an upgrade.
My motive is it's lacking of support for Cortex-M4 SIMD (aka DSP) and FPU instructions, but I think that other architectures shall gain from newer compiler too. I have made some signal processing tests with GCC 4.6.2 against current eCos compiler and they show performance gain even with Cortex-M3 setting, though moderate. Performance is considerable when Cortex-M4 setting is selected and is tremendous, as expected, when SIMD are used. Recently introduced Cortex-M products with FPU (Kinetis K70, K61, STM32F4) will further emphasise the benefit.

That sounds good! Did you try link time optimization ?

I haven't changed any option except -mcpu=cortex-m4. My objective were SIMD instructions (now with K70 FPU).

I'm curious what kind of gain it could bring with a real world app. eCos seems to fit perfectly for such an optimization, there is no shared lib and at link time everythink is visible to the linker.

Worth to try.

Ilija