Mapping of ARM Architecture to Repository

Hi all,

First I proudly want to notify, that I was able to establish a collaboration
between my company ITR GmbH and Atmel Corporation.
Subject of this collaboration is, that my company will be responsible for
Atmel's activities regarding realtime operation system eCos.

First project within the scope of this collaboration is the porting of eCos
to the Atmel AT91SAM9G45 microcontroller, which I have already announced to
the community some time ago.

Because Atmel is interested in not only providing a port to this
microcontroller, but also to provide ports to other ARM based product
families, I want to start a discussion about the repository structure.

The problem is, that there is a large variety of ARM based microcontroller
cores (ARM7,ARM9,... Cortex-M0,M3,...,Cortex A8,A9,....).
This core families are subdivided also into some special core versions (e.g.
922, 926,...).
Each of the core families and variants has more or less some differences.

So, in my opinion, the structure of the repository is not sufficient to map
the core differences.

In principle, is it possible to make changes in the structures? In the
moment, there are subdirectories hal/arm/arch, hal/arm/arm9 and hal/arm/xxxx
for different microcontrollers.

Maybe somebody has already some ideas, how a structure should be made to fit
best to the differnt arm architectures.

Richard

Richard Rauch
email: rrauch@itrgmbh.de