Re: whetstone test

Hi Sergei

Sergei Gavrikov wrote:

> Can you, please, check copyright header for that whetstone.c (1.2) from
> NetBSD packages?
>
> IANAL and I would withdraw my questions if NetBSD trunk is not (C)-pass.

IANAL either.

I note that we _do_ have a precedent for including benchmark code with
no stated copyright and licensing terms. Namely, the dhrystone test:

http://ecos.sourceware.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ecos/packages/kernel/current/tests/dhrystone.c?rev=1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&cvsroot=ecos

In my opinion, including a whetstone test adapted from the original
whets.c code from http://www.roylongbottom.org.uk/whets.c would be
acceptable (avoiding other versions with company copyright notices). Do
any of the other maintainers have an opinion on this?

I would be inclined to place the test alongside the dhrystone test in
the kernel package with similar pre-processor tests for correct
configuration of eCos, similar implementation of dtime() and similar use
of __ECOS__ to annotate eCos-specific changes. I would also suggest
#ifdefs allowing the test to build both with and without libm since only
two of the test sections (N5, N8) appear to require libm.

John Dallaway
eCos maintainer