Re: lwIP

John Dallaway wrote:
b) Compatibility with eCos applications using the existing eCos lwIP
1.1.1 package if possible (API and existing CDL option names
preserved)
Hmm, I didn't really focus on that. I agree that CDL names should be
identical as far as possible. Otherwise I'm not sure (initialization
etc.) if this really matters as long as it's documented well.

If it's just a case of making a different API call to initialise the
stack then I agree this is no problem.

Most of the API comes from lwIP anyway. What will change (at least in my port) are a few CDL names as well as the API for initialization.

d) Absolutely minimal mangling of the lwIP sources (it should be easy to
upgrade lwIP again in the future)
Mangling is very minimal for these exact reasons, except the PPP sources
which were changed quite a bit.

Has the PPP support in the current lwIP code regressed relative to lwIP 1.1.1? If there have been serious regressions, we will need to consider how to manage the transition for users of the existing eCos lwIP package.

If you consider your own fixes for PPP to be just a hack then we might
also consider focussing on ethernet for now and tacking PPP as a
separate activity.

I don't know if PPP code in lwIP has regressed. The code in my port certainly has, as it is tuned to run in a polled, single-threaded environment. I think it's a good idea to focus on ethernet support first. Fixing PPP is going to be quite some work if we want to do it right (in lwIP as well as in eCos). Also adding proper support for polling will need some changes in the lwIP code.

Perhaps the best way forward is for John Eigelaar to take Simon
Kallweit's package, work on the sequential API initially and post his
revised package for review and further work by others. Simon, is the
lwIP package in your repository ready for handoff?
I think we should first discuss my port a little and see if it needs to
be changed to fit the needs of others.

Sure. What aspects do you think need discussion?

Well basically I think the code that I wrote so far :) I'll post a little summary of my thoughts and implementation later this day when I have some free time.

Simon