Re: Porting eCos to STR9

C. Adam Lamb wrote:
>> I did my 1st port recently and I had same dillema. I choosed the one
>> with most simillar booting sequence and memory structure. I was looking
>> for peripheral simillarity too, but unfortunatelly i found no chips with
>> peripharals simillar to mine.
>>

> How long did it take you to get the basic part (enough to get an LED
> blinking, for example) of your first port going?  A few weeks?

Well' my biggest effort was to consume and compile vast amount of
documentation. While having experience with porting (proprietary) OS and
some other processors I was completely novice at ARM and eCos. So I
spent about 2 week in reading, waiting for my PEEDI.

Then I had to test my hardware (I hadn't off the shelf evaluation board)
during which time I also got familiar with ARM and found out that eCos'
downloadable GCC doesn't support big endian. You may not encounter this
issue but if your chip is BE you will need to build your GNU tool chain
<http://ecos.sourceware.org/build-toolchain.html>

Once I got this I started porting and within 3-4 weeks I got 1st message
at serial line through hal_diag functions (I was familiar with similar
serial port to one I ported).

Porting process is very well described in "eCos reference" and
"Component writer's guide" and also explained (with example) here
http://www.phptr.com/browse/product.asp?product_id={0BEE58C4-0812-4B13-9B8C-A0FC31A4C02F}