Re: dynamic memory detection

Hi.

While I do not have any hands on experience with the IXDP425, your post
reminded me of some work I had done for another board (one based on the
AMD Elan SC520 micro) to which I was porting the u-boot bootloader. I
used SDRAM sizing algorithms to determine stuff like :

1. The number of external SDRAM banks
2. The bank geometry
3. Column widths etc.

The net result was that the total amount of SDRAM was detectable at
runtime.

I do not have any devel experience with redboot, but being a bootloader
of certain pedigree (its always been a great help), I wonder why SDRAM
sizing and detection is not an option myself.

A bootloader would be expected to configure a board in preparation for
either an OS to take over safely or a standalone application. Either
ways, memory detection would be an added advantage and would not be too
costly in terms of the added footprint, which incidentally, would be one
of the concerns. The only issue could be the need for per-architecture,
per-processor support since SDRAM detection is quite a specific
technique, but eCos' beautifully modular design should easily allow
that.

Maybe the maintainers/developers would like to opine on this ?

Cheers,
Robin