Re: A naive question on issues related to code in public repository

Alex Schuilenburg wrote:
While it would be good to get the cradle port into the public CVS repository, as per my previous email, this is not possible unless you either wrote a new port from scratch
what does writing from scratch mean? there are hal specific isr/dsr, macros/functions to be provided in hal. when you save the context of thread/interrupt, initialise the thread etc. you will be be doing in standard steps needed on the architecture - things you will be changing, will be order of saving the registers, or using some alternate instructions. in case of some architectures you might not even have this flexibility.

even after rewrite it will turn out to be same. ecos lays out certain conventions for naming macros/variables/functions/typedefs etc. so things won't be changing there. you will moreorless write same things.

if you modify some files beyound certain extent, may be you can call them as almost rewritten (like for modifications beyound certain extent, I have seen mention of copyright assignment issues on the list).

your opinions on above and notion of rewrite, would be helpful for me to understand nontechnicalities of things better.

i find it amazing, how the term 'rewriting' is used to glorify what would have created a problem situation for me in student life assignments. ;)

i wonder if you folks can write from scratch again or rewrite from memories (but I don't see much point and reason in you doing it out of charity for some hardware). but in case you get your rewrite in public cvs, past experience of me/my current organisaton should be of use.

I can check out possibilities for some sort of rewrite with my current employers, in case you folks are not doing it. but there should be some direct/indirect benefit for organisation to put efforts in this direction, even for releasing to public cvs.

However, that should not stop you contrinuting to the community in other ways :-)
that I have already been, in whatever little ways i can, on different lists.

And as an FYI (since you appeared to have missed Nick's comments :-) Nick Garnett is the person who did the original port of Cradle to eCos,
i know that even before recent thread. as I gather from earlier discussions, possibly this port was not thoroughly tested (unfinished work), that's what would have left certain bugs, little but at crucial places.

i found nick's work quite fine (improvements here and there are possible in any work over a period of time with usage), something that has got me accoclades of 'being obsessed'.

can hal/doings-in-hal be looked at in isolation with rest of the eCos?

regards
sandeep