Re: RedBoot Development?

Gary Thomas wrote:

What sorts of things did you have an interest in?

A partial wish list:

- a consistent "verb option object value" command syntax

We already have a consistent command syntax. How is what you propose any better?

I figured this would evoke a response. :)

Our thinking is that all commands should start with verbs. So commands like dump, load, ping and reset are good, but ip_address, version, cache, etc are inconsistent. Instead we'd propose a "verb option object value" format, ie:

  set ip_address 192.168.0.1
  set cache on
  list version
  list fis
  load fis

It would be even better if objects had structure and a type, so instead of the above:

  set ip.address 192.168.0.1
  set ip.dns 192.168.0.13
  load fis.name
  set serial.rate 9600
  list serial.bits

- enhancements to decompress gzipped ELF binaries from flash into RAM for execution

'fis load' already knows how to unzip data. Putting ELF images into FLASH would be wastful IMO.

Not if you wanted to locate them as you load them from flash to RAM.

- redundant config data spaces in FIS (in case power fails during writes)
- DHCP and TFTP clients that can pull configuration data (or a set up script) from a server at boot time

I've already thought about this one - just haven't had the time to do
it.

Good, we agree on two items. Does anyone else?

Comments?

Feel free to propose patches - if they are reasonable and accepted by the maintainers, they'll go in.

Who are the maintainers?