Re: Is the eCos Open Source development model at risk?

Øyvind Harboe wrote:
Some comments:

- There are at least some eCos maintainers that want patches to be
applied
more rapidly. Ref.
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-patches/2003-06/msg00019.html

- It sounds like it is a good idea to test code before it is committed.
In the case of eCos that is a completely unpractical requirement, which
Jonathan Larmour points out in his posting above.

Of course we should test if one of us _does_ have hardware.

IMHO, a too strict commit policy can be just as damaging to eCos as one
too loose.

Perhaps more eCos commiters/developers are needed as well?

Yes, or rather, review doesn't have to be exclusively done by a maintainer. A lot of what maintainers pick up could have been picked up by others and commented on just as well on the ecos-patches list, producing a refined patch that a maintainer doesn't need to spend as much time on.

Call this a call for volunteers if you like - *anyone* can comment on patches.

But there are changes afoot here because we know the patch treatment has been far from optimal. We need some time to write it up ;-). But essentially we are moving to tracking patches using Bugzilla (normally just a bug tracking system but it's flexible). This way patches can be tracked clearly and the status would be very obvious.

Is it hard to become an eCos maintainer?

Well you have to take exams and get a licence and stuff ;-).

Jifl