Re: [docbook] DocBook and Publishing Software

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Whitlatch" <swhitlat@getnet.net>
To: "David White" <davidw@kencook.com>; "Bill Lawrence" <lawrence@mayaviz.com>
Cc: <docbook@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2005 1:42 PM
Subject: RE: [docbook] DocBook and Publishing Software

* On-screen display in Epic Editor is controlled for most Epic users with FOSI.
My impression, but not necessarily my knowledge, is that FOSI is old,
unsupported, arcane, etc. You will probably pay dearly for a FOSI expert who can
make your on-screen document appearance in Epic Editor look WYSIWYG, but that
too is just my impression. And any new investments in time and effort with FOSI
are probably poor choices. Someone can correct me if I have this wrong, but when
using Epic Editor and FOSI, your print output is what you see on screen with
your online FOSI, but I do think it is not that simple. You can set up the
system any way you want, and you can make it different for different doctypes.

RAJAL ==>> We use Epic extensively.. The FOSI that you use for PRINT does not give you the WYSIWYG feature as you'd expect.. I think the reason is that EPIC needs Adobe Distiller to generate PDF.. So for the same FOSI - the editing/authoring pane in EPIC gives you some formatting/layout that you can work with but it's not the same when you do a "Compose to PDF" (Print Preview) with it..

This feature by itself makes FramkeMaker+XML extremely attractive to me, cause I'm assuming that they'd be the only one who could get us to WYSIWYG.. (as long as PDF is the print format).. But alas, I'm not sure where Adobe stands with Framemake and its support to seriously consider it.

--
Rajal