RE: [docbook] DocBook and Publishing Software

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 13:00 -0500, David White wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> The company I work for is making decisions about its plans for future
> docbook publishing and the current situation that Framemaker is in.
> Given that Frame may not survive, and that docbook / XML is the format
> of choice for our publishing needs.  What are your opinions on software
> solutions for a publishing department?  Granted the department has
> individuals of different roles such as writers and editors etc.

We're moving from HTML to XML using e-novative DocBook Environment (eDE).
eDe is a free program
(http://www.e-novative.info/software/ede/ede_download.php) that uses batch
files to generate output using DocBook and/or custom XSL. I like it, though
it's a bit "geeky" since you generate the files from a command line.

On the other hand, and to second what Dave Pawson wrote, you can write your
XML in any editor you want. You just have to be a geek during the generation
process.