Re: [docbook] mathphrase

Neil Soiffer <NeilAS@DesSci.com> writes:

> Michael,
>
> Thanks for the response.  I did see the referenced original proposal, but
> that proposal lacks an explanation of what problem the proposal is trying to
> solve.  Also, the Jägermeister release simplified the referenced proposal,
> again with minimal explanation of why "mathphrase" is needed.  See technical
> committee meeting minutes:
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200502/msg00008.html
>
> I'm sure the committee had a good reason to introduce this tag.  I'd like to
> understand it and understand how the tag interacts with other standards that
> include math, how it affects accessibility, and how it affects other issues
> that MathML was designed to solve.

I think the genesis for it was a discussion about the fact that
sometimes people want to mark up "simple" equations -- such as
"E=mc^2" -- as just plain text, or text with some inline markup
(for example, superscript and subscript). But the problem was that
the existing content model for equation and inlineequation did not
permit them to contain text. So users had to resort to ad-hoc
markup like this:

  <phrase role="math">E=mc<superscript>2</superscript></phrase>

So I think the rationale was that rather than having people
resort to using ad-hoc markup, we'd be better off having a
standard way to mark up such instances -- a way that would
indicate what they really are (equations); for example:

  <inlineequation><mathphrase
    >E=mc<superscript>2</superscript></mathprase></inlinequation>

--Mike

--
Michael Smith
http://logopoeia.com/  http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/890