[docbook] Re: XLink and OLink in Docbook 5

/ Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org> was heard to say:
| Now, IIUC, <olink> is gone from Docbook 5.

To be perfectly clear, it's not currently in my experimental NG work,
there's nothing in or out of DocBook 5 "officially" yet.

I removed it because the entityref stuff seemed a little crufty in a
post-DTD world. Still, if you're using targetdoc (instead of targetdocent)
it might be useful.

<olink targetdoc="someuri.xml" targetptr="foo">

seems like

<link xlink:href="someuri.xml#foo>

to me. Olink has localinfo, linkmode, and type. Link has xlink:role
and xlink:arcrole. I had sort of thought that would be enough.

| So what is the recommended way to create inter-document link in Docbook 5?
| E.g., I have a <book> and a <refentry> which link to each other.
| I produce 2 versions of html from <book>: chunked and single file.
| I produce 1 html version of <refentry> (but it is heavily
| post-processed).
|
| Suggestions?

What do your Olinks look like? (I assume you're using OLink now).

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Do not try to live forever. You
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | will not succeed.--George Bernard
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | Shaw