Re: [docbook] Re: Free Shared Glossart Database of Computing Terms

On Friday 21 January 2005 14:28, Binh Nguyen wrote:
> --- Sean Wheller <sean@enbaya.co.za> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for your response. I am glad that you brought
> > this to our attention. In
> > the message referenced above, you provided license
> > under CC-BY-NC-SA 2.0 [1].
> > If such a project is to be undertaken and improved
> > by a community, then I do
> > not think it will work under this license. Reason is
> > simple, there can be no
> > guarantee that all or part of your work will not end
> > up in some distro or
> > desktop or even a closed source program. In which
> > case selling the distro or
> > desktop or closed source technology in any form or
> > circumstance would be a
> > contravention of CC-BY-NC-SA. ? I therefore think
> > the license should be
> > CC-BY-SA 2.0 [2].
>
> I became aware of these issues a few days later and I
> made those concessions to the linuxquestions.org
> people. I'm willing to make these concessions to you
> as well.

Super news. Great thanks a million.

> > Regarding copyright laws, I expect that we would
> > have to place some disclaimer
> > of liability to third parties and advertise a code
> > of ethics to contributors.
> > On the other hand, as a community project I am not
> > sure that there would be
> > anyone to take legal action against if somebody were
> > to verbatim copy and
> > paste. However, in general you are right, this is a
> > problem to be managed.
>
> This is one of the reasons why you'll see after each
> definition in my dictionary, From 'yadda-yadda-yadda'.
> If there is a violation I can remove the offending
> material without too much fuss.

Yes, I see this. I think it is a good idea to provide attributions.

> > Under CC-BY-SA 2.0 [2] ?
>
> Yes :)

Oki doke! That settles it then.

> > If so, I would be willing
> > to publish, package and
> > market it myself and return proceeds to the
> > community. Not saying there would
> > be millions, but we may be able to raise enough for
> > a few bounties to do
> > specific house keeping things like QA. This said, I
> > would however have to
> > check this with legal council, for publishing in
> > print or package could make
> > me directly responsible for copyright issues,
> > eventhough they were not
> > directly induced by me.
>
> Huh, you're a publisher?
> ?

No not a publisher, an author so I have knowledge of publishing.

--
Sean Wheller
http://www.inwords.co.za