From: Tobias Reif [mailto:tobiasreif@pinkjuice.com]
Sent: 08 October 2003 11:35
To: docbook@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Robert Shields
Subject: Re: [docbook] Error processing FO output from docbook-xsl

P.S.

I wrote:
> Robert Shields wrote:
>  > Here is the docbook document I am using:
>  >
>  > <?xml version="1.0"?>
>  > <?xmlspysps C:\Program
>  > Files\Altova\AUTHENTIC2004\sps\Template\Publishing\DocBook.sps?>
>  > <article id="article" xmlns="http://www.star.net.uk/";>
>  >     <title>Article Title</title>
>  >     <indexterm id="foo" class="startofrange">
>  >         <primary>FOO</primary>
>  >     </indexterm>
>  >     <para>Some text.<footnote>
>  >             <para>This is a footnote.</para>
>  >         </footnote></para>
>  >     <indexterm startref="foo" class="endofrange"/>
>  > </article>
>
> Check
>
> xmllint --dtdvalid
> "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd"; --noout -
> -:2: warning: xmlParsePITarget: invalid name prefix 'xml'
> <?xmlspysps C:\Program
>            ^
>
> and
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#sec-pi
> "PITarget ::=  Name - (('X' | 'x') ('M' | 'm') ('L' | 'l'))"
>
> Other than that the document seems to be valid DBX 4.2.

Oops, (my version of) xmllint doesn't flag it, but the document is *not*

DocBook. All elements are in a namespace named "http://www.star.net.uk/";

which is not a Docbook namespace. DBX 4.2 documents and elements must be

in the null namespace (except for SVG etc elements).

Tools which process DBX should not treat
   <article xmlns="http://www.star.net.uk/";>
as
   <article>
It's a different element.