Re: [docbook] need coding for "Caps/smallcaps" and "bolditalic" text

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 10:25:47AM +0530, Raju Sharma wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there any coding/attribute available for making text SmallCaps (sc) and
> BoldItalic (both Bold as well as italic)?
>
> I tried to use <emphasis role="smallcaps">...</emphasis> and <emphasis
> role="bolditalic">...</emphasis>. But it is not working.
>
> NOTE: After this I tried <emphasis><emphasis
> role="bold">..blah...</emphasis></emphasis> for bold italic and it works. Is
> this nesting of <emphasis> acceptable?

If this is for HTML output, you can set the stylesheet
parameter 'emphasis.propagates.style' to 1, and then
the role value on emphasis is copied into the class
attribute for the HTML <span> element that wraps around
the output.  For example:

<emphasis role="smallcaps">...</emphasis>

becomes:

Then you can add styles to a CSS stylesheet like:

.smallcaps {font-variant: small-caps;}

Be sure to also set the 'html.stylesheet'
parameter to your stylesheet name, and copy the stylesheet
file to the output directory.

If this is for FO output as well, you will need to
customize the template that matches 'emphasis' from
fo/inline.xsl in a customization layer.  The customization
could respond to the role attribute to set the appropriate
XSL font properties in the <fo:inline> output.  Do
you need more help with that?

                                            email: bobs@sco.com